8.10.2007

Attack of the Masked Bandit

The pond saga continues.
Two nights ago there was an unwelcome, most terrible intruder at our pond. It overturned rocks, messed up everything, and sadly ate up 10 of our goldfish. I am assuming it was a raccoon, as it also went to our neighbor's pond and managed to dig out the spongy filter, which was quite far down. This nasty guest was back last night, and this morning I was enraged to find he had eaten 1.5 pond hyacinth plants, overturned more things, and probably eaten two more goldfish. There is one left. I think his name will be Survivor.
I need a plan. The damage is done, but I want revenge. I need an anti-rodent plan...maybe I should hire that crazed exterminator from Over the Hedge? My poor little goldfish...this is probably the last thing they saw before they were so cruelly taken away from us...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stock the pond with piranha's.

I've heard that raccoons are a big problem for goldfish ponds. Too bad.

How about a live trap? Release the culprit in the wild.

Anonymous said...

After a brief browse on-line, it appears the solution is chicken wire (quite attractive I am sure), or a deeper pond (not practical).

Too bad, so sad.

Sarafina said...

thanks for researching it for me!! yep, i thought the same about the chicken wire...too bad. Oh well, there are actually 3 left, 2 orange and 1 blackish (that's probably harder to see) and they are named Survivor 1, 2 and 3 now!!

Robyn said...

Sara, we found that the more rocks we have in the bottom of our pond, the less the coon can find. I don't know how deep your pond is, but ours is 2.5feet deep, and we have lots of rocks in it. Also, we have a "fountain" in the middle of it, keeping the water moving. the coon seems to stay away from that.
Good luck!

Sue said...

ooooooooh poor coonie. well, i hope he find s different fishing hole for your sake, and his! hahaha.

the piranha idea is the best yet, go withthat one.
from su.

Sarafina said...

anyone know where to get piranhas?
they were back early this morning, definitely two raccoons by their wet footprints on our patio this morning..and now our wonderfully clear water is muddy and brown, stinky, rocks toppled everywhere, and our 3 'Survivors' may not have survived! if I had a gun that would be a faster solution...