1.17.2007

a day in the life of me

5:33-wake up for no apparent reason.
5:39-daughter calls loudly from room, needs to use the washroom.
6:00-son wakes up unhappily.
7:15-get an assignment from the school district.
7:30-ready to go, dressed in jeans, ready to teach PE.
7:33-get a different assignment from the school district, change, swallow cheerios, dash out the door.

i got to school a good 10 minutes before the bell went, not the usual 45 that i like to give myself. it's never good when you don't know what's going on and the students can tell. haha. in the next 6.5 hours i would be reminded of things i had definitely forgotten about the nile river, try to contain the out-of-control insanity that is grade 7, see some old friends and an old teacher, be reminded what a cataract is in the context of a river, and then have to pretend I knew it all along, give a stern 'teacher-look' at least a dozen times, quell several drug-related discussions and confront some bad language, witness 3 injuries (2 involving blood) during a regular PE period basketball practice-none intentional, order a grade 7 boy to wash an ink mustache off his mouth, be hugged by two (very obnoxious incredibly irritating) 'class clowns' in response to their names being called in attendance, and be called Mrs. Llama. by the end of the day i had a headache and a tortured feeling in the pit of my stomach that this place called 'middle school' is the socializing environment where our children end up for 3 years during a very tumultuous time in life. i know it's reality. but it is not pretty. let me tell you. you can have a great teacher and school, but there is NO way to control what the other kids in the class are bringing into the picture-reflections of their home life, what they have or haven't been taught, and what they're into. it's such an age of 'fitting in' and 'being cool'; when you're in grade 7 you're liable to follow the cool sheep right off the steepest cliff around even though it's been clearly marked!
anyway, that's my day, dealing with the loveliness that is grade 7. we didn't have too bad of a day, but it's just not my cup of tea (0:

6 comments:

Christa said...

When I have doubts about my decision to homeschool my kids, it's experiences like yours that remind me that I am doing the right thing! Not because I want to shelter them from life but so that I am not throwing them into a situation where they are forced to follow the other sheep off the cliff in order to fit in.
Thanks for the insight!
Blessings,
Christa

Sarafina said...

totally Christa, I completely understand. so often the criticism is that they are sheltered (but that depends on the education you provide as the parent, right?) without consideration that maybe the kids are not at the point of maturity of being able to stand up in this atmosphere, without following everyone else right off the cliff! i think the sheltering argument ends up being pretty weak all things considered (0: good for you!!

Anonymous said...

Crazy Times!!! I hear ya...that's why I quit teaching...I just felt I had no more patience...but and to sub...wow do I ever admire subs! To be thrown into another teacher's lessons, yikes! But textbooks and workbooks, now they are a gift I think, it was always easier to teach with the use of a textbook that's for sure. Making lessons from scratch now that's stressful. Especailly, when you have mixed learning levels in the class...YUCK...but you know, you still have your patience at the end of the day and you probably had some really great laughs afterward too hey? Kids are so funny!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this Sarah, this has confirmed in my mind that my choice to homeschool grade 7 this year was a good one. Good for me, but bad for you. :)

I am proud of you for perservering through the entire day which I'm sure was not very easy(although entertaining for us). Kind of makes sleepless life with preschoolers look like a piece of cake, huh?

Lessons for all.

Luv ya,
Ant

Doug said...

Quite the day Sarah! I can't remember having a day quite like that myself. I'm subbing now in a pretty good school (K-7) teaching music in a classroom right beside the gr. 7 room. During lunch the noise and banging etc from there is incredible. (There's no teacher there then.) Sometimes loud rock music is being played too. Fortunately I don't teach that grade. I do K- Gr. 5 music.
It sounds like you did well in that class anyway and took some of the antics with a grain of salt and good humor. Way to go.

Sue said...

Ah, i love reading stories like this...because, as Carla and Christa both said, it reinforces that little voice in your head telling you that teaching at home for a few years just might be the right choice for YOUR child.

Sarah, you had some great points in our discussion this morning about how even with a great school, with good standards and a passionate teacher--the kids who are in the class are out of your control. Which is fine, if you feel your child has matured to the place where they can stand with God, because apart from Him, they WILL be alone. and that is a really hard place to be at the tender pre-teen years. (or any year)

anyway. loves. take care.